Nimble AMS has introduced the Product Variants feature for products, so that associations can effectively provide greater selling options for similar and related products.
Using this feature, you can display a single parent product in Community Hub, which will contain various child products. The child products are different options or variants of a single parent product, which differ from each other in size, color, etc. This will benefit constituents who require a different variation of the product being displayed. With more options to choose from, your customer experience is enhanced and potential revenues improved for the association. You will need to contact Support to enable this feature - it is not available by default.
On Nimble AMS in Staff View, those with Staff or Administrator privileges can select the
Parent Product record type for creating a parent product.
On navigating to the parent product, there will be the option to create child products and set attributes.
Attributes can be created to differentiate the child products - child products may be mapped to one or multiple attributes.
As an example, say the staff creates a parent product called Book. Now they can create two or more child products like Hardback or Audiobook where Format is the attribute as shown in the table below.
|Parent Product||Child Product||Attribute|
New and Improved: Store Page and Product Details Page with Lightning Web Components
Product Variants is designed to work seamlessly with Lightning Web Components (LWC) as part of the Lightning Store. As a result to make full use of this feature you will need to use the updated pages for Store and Product Details which are provided as standard templates for most solutions.
Parent Product in Staff View
Child Product in Staff View
On Community Hub, the Store page will display the parent product, which will hold multiple child products of different sizes, color, etc. To access these child products, the constituent can click on any of the options on the Product Detail page of the parent product. After seeing all options, the constituent can add the desired option to the cart, checkout and submit the order.
On Community Hub:
- On the new Store page, Nimble AMS has added the number of options and starting price range for parent products and a left panel for filtering products.
- Also, on the new Store Page, we have added a search bar so that the constituents can search for products. We have also provided a number of results and sort options on top right of the page so that after adding the lightning web components, you can sort the products by newest, and other parameters.
- On the new Product Details page, we have added options on the parent products so that after adding the lightning web components, you can navigate to the child product having desired attributes.
- On My Checkout page, products will display with the attributes that have been set for them in Staff View. As an example, large and blue will be mentioned if a large blue T shirt is ordered. The product will also have a hyperlink to go back to the Product Details page.
On Staff View:
- Nimble AMS has added a new
Record Typecalled the Parent Product to Product object.
- We have created a new layout for the Parent Product page where you can add multiple child products and optionally mark one as the default child product to display on the Store page in Community Hub.
- Two new objects called Attribute and Product Attribute Link have been added so that you can assign multiple attributes to child products to sell various variations of same product.
- Product variants are not available in the Staff View order processor - they are only available to view in Community Hub.
- We have added an Attribute tab to merchandise product layout.
- We have updated the product page layout with some additional fields, to allow users to use product variants. In parent page layout, Cannot be Sold Separately checkbox is added. Also, in child page layout, following check boxes are added:
- Is Variant
- Sold Standalone Is Variant
- Show In Store
- Create Child Products
- Create Parent Products
- Set attributes on Child Products
- Link Child Products to Parent Products
- Configure Store and Product Details Pages OR
- Create Store and Product Details Page THEN
- Configure Store and Product Details Page (for custom stores)
What's available out of the box
- *Store Page and Product Details LWC pages. These can be linked to with the minimum of configuration.
Create a Parent Product
Please note only child links should be created; either from child to parent, or parent to child. Parent links should not be created between products.
Page Layout | Parent Product
If any fields or tabs mentioned below are not visible, ensure that the layout Nimble AMS Product Record Page - Parent Product is activated for Parent product. This is a one-time configuration for which you can also reach out to Nimble AMS Support.
Staff user can create a parent product to allow for multiple child products having different variations, shown on Community Hub.
A new record type
Parent Product has been added while creating a product. Select this record type to create a parent product. The Parent product itself does not have any inventory, price, or size/color options but if a default child product is selected by staff to be the default image for the Parent product, the image shown will be of that.
Given below are the steps to create a parent product:
- In the tab bar, click , or in Salesforce Classic, click .
- Click Products.
- Click New.
Record Type of new record, select
- Click Continue.
Product Name, enter a name to assign to the product. This name displays in the order process and on invoices.
Short Description, enter the short description of the product.
Description, enter the description of the product. This may appear on an invoice or order confirmation, as well as in Community Hub.
Entity, enter the name of the entity associated with the product. Click and select the entity.
Self Service Enabled, select the checkbox to enable product for community hub.
List Price, no change is required. If you enter a value, it will have no impact on the product,
Revenue GL Account, no input is required.
Display Order, enter a number to signify where in the list of products this product should be displayed in the Staff View order process and in Community Hub. The lower the number, the higher the membership product displays on the list of products.
The number should be 0 - 999.
Consider spacing out your numbers to accommodate future changes in products.
- If required, update the
- Click Save.
Create Product Attributes and Link to Child Product
Staff can use the child link to sell the product in different variations.
- In the tab bar, click or in Salesforce Classic, click .
Productsin the search bar and select it.
- Select a child product.
- Place the cursor on Attributes and click New. Alternatively, you can link an existing attribute.
- In the New Attribute pop up, click on the field Attribute and then New Attribute.
Name, enter the name you wish to assign to the attribute.
Type, select the type of product attribute.
value, give the value you wish to assign to the product attribute.
Sort Order, enter the display order you want for that attribute.
Description, if required you can enter the description of the attribute.
- Click Save.
- On the pop up for Product Attribute Link, click Save.
The newly added attribute will get added to the list of attributes in the Attribute tab of the product.
Create and Link a Child Product
Page Layout | Child Product
If any fields or tabs mentioned below are not visible, ensure that the layout Nimble AMS Product Record Page - Merchandise is activated for Child product. This is a one-time configuration for which you can also reach out to Nimble AMS Support.
Staff can create multiple child products and link them to a parent product.
- From a product, click Child Products.
- Click Add Child Product.
- Click New.
- In New Product Link select Child Product.
- Click Next.
- In Child Product, search for the product and select it.
- If this is the default variant for the product family, select Default Child.
The child product will be added to the parent product.
Default Child Product
The default child product is the product which will be visible to the constituents while browsing the Store Page. To set the default child product, go to the parent product, assign the default child product in Product Options and save your changes.Show Me How It's Done...
- Have you used the Store and Product Details pages and gone through either the Community Hub route for configuration or Community Builder route?
- Have you created a parent product?
- Have you linked child products to the parent product?
- Have you set a default child product?
- Have you created an attribute?
- Have you linked attributes to child products?
If all the steps have been followed you should now have set up Product Variants.